- About Us
- Training & Convening
- Helpline & Resources
- Oregon Involved
Building Strong Nonprofit Boards (Webinar or Peer Learning Session 1)
*A recording of this session is available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Barb Gibbs, Senior Consultant
Nonprofit Association of Oregon
At the heart of every nonprofit organization is a volunteer Board—a group of people who come together to give of their time, talents, and treasure to build vibrant communities and address challenging social issues. In order to accomplish their important objectives, nonprofit Boards must focus not only on their missions, but must develop ways of working together successfully, sustaining their energy and motivation, and planning for renewal. Often this is easier said than done!
“Building Strong Nonprofit Boards” will focus on five key elements and activities that make for thriving nonprofits. Getting them right will help sustain and advance your organization, whether you are all-volunteer or have a sizable staff. The presenters will discuss the following Board essentials:
- Motivation and Mission—Build dynamic leadership that keeps the Board energetic, effective, and mission-focused
- Routines and Practices—Build ongoing activities and methods of doing business that can be replicated year after year so the Board can focus on the larger objectives rather than recreate systems with each change in leadership
- Board Recruitment—Put in place a year round process for identifying prospective Board members so that you can easily fill Board vacancies
- Annual and Strategic Planning—Engage in a regular planning process so all Board members are clear where the organization is going and how it will get there
- Board Evaluation—Put in place an annual Board self-evaluation to help the Board improve its performance and achieve greater success over time
About the Presenter
Barb Gibbs has 30 years’ experience in nonprofit management and philanthropy. She directed three major art museums and was development director for a large social service agency. She served as program officer and director of policy and strategy for the Meyer Memorial Trust, where she worked with hundreds of Oregon nonprofits and oversaw multi-million investments in public education, affordable housing, the arts, ocean conservation, and leadership development in communities of color. Barb has served on national and state arts grants panels, and on the Boards of Grantmakers of Oregon and SW Washington and Girl Scouts of Oregon and SW Washington. She holds an AB in Fine Arts from Brown and an MBA from UCLA’s Graduate School of Management.
Two Ways to Attend
Hosted Webinars and Peer Learning Discussions. Facilitators will host group webinar viewings and lead focused discussions immediately after the webinar in the below communities. This is an opportunity to learn from the experts and also learn from your peers, renew community connections, and build new relationships. Discussions will include opportunities for the group to identify ways to address participants’ issues and concerns.
- BANDON—Bandon Conference and Community Center, 1200 11th Street SW, Bandon, OR 97411
- THE DALLES—Columbia Gorge Discovery Center and Museum, 5000 Discovery Drive, The Dalles, Oregon 97058
- ROSEBURG—YMCA of Douglas County, 1551 Stewart Parkway, Roseburg, Oregon 97471
Non-hosted Webinars. Not close to one of the hosted sites listed above? Join us via traditional webinar format—all you need is a computer and internet connection.
We encourage you to join us for the entire three-part series:
- Building Strong Nonprofit Boards, March 13, 2013 (Session 1)
- Fundraising in Rural Communities, April 10, 2013 (Session 2)
- Increase Volunteer & Staff Performance, May 8, 2013 (Session 3)
Series pass holders receive 20% discount—a savings of up to $33, and are preregistered for all three sessions listed above.
- Hosted Series: NAO Member $43.20, Nonmember $48
- Non-hosted Series: NAO Member $118.80, Nonmember $132
Individual Session—Register for this session via the “Register Now” link below.
March 13th, 2013 12:00 PM through 1:30 PM
|The Dalles - NAO Member||$ 18.00|
|The Dalles - Nonmember||$ 20.00|
|Roseburg - NAO Member||$ 18.00|
|Roseburg - Nonmember||$ 20.00|
|Non-hosted Webinar - NAO Member (ends at 1:00 p.m.)||$ 49.50|
|Non-hosted Webinar - Nonmember (ends at 1:00 p.m.)||$ 55.00|